Handouts for EVSC 4270
I try to put copies of any and all handouts, slides, etc. in this location. Note that this is an ever-ongoing effort - I will add materials as I have time and resources.Most of the handouts (which of course are no longer handed out) are here, and I am adding photographic images as I have the opportunity. The materials are in generally chronological order, although I may not have gotten it 100%correct.
Soil Horizonization & Soil Formation
- Horizon designations (PDF) This is chapter 18 from the Keys to Soil Taxonomy (following entry). It is a few pages with all the subscripts, etc. for naming horizons using the O,A,E,B,C, etc. system.
- Keys to Soil Taxonomy This is a large PDF file (about 400 pages), but it has ALL the information you need on soil taxonomy. Chapter 18 defines the horizons and their modifiers.
- Simonson's paper on soil formation PDF This is a very old paper, (1958), but it still captures the fundamental processes in a very eloquent presentation.
- Major processes in soil profile development
- Changes in solubility of iron, aluminum, and quartz with pH PDF
- Definition of ionic potential and table of some important values PDF
- Photo of an oxidation rind in a piece of granite rock
- Distribution of clays in soil profiles as affected by topographic location
Weathering and Soil Formation
Jenny's state factors, etc
Soil WaterSoil Colloids - Mineral Weathering - Clay MineralogySoil Taxonomy
Soil Organic Matter & Carbon CycleNitrogen CyclePhosphorus and PotassiumFertilizers and LimeSoil Erosion